Press & Media: Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best way to contact you for media inquiries?
- If you have a deadline to meet, just call us. However, we generally prefer Email as a contact method, and we respond to all media inquires within a day.
- What makes thingSoC unique in it's field?
- thingSoC has developed formal methods for implementing reusable design patterns, sizing and styling them to meet our customers requirements. We are making many of these patterns available to the Open Source Community, with Open Source Software, Firmware, and Hardware designs.
- Are Licenses required to use thingSoC Intellectual Property?
- thingSoC uses the increasingly popular business model called "Dual Licensing" in which both the open source software distribution mechanism and traditional commercial software distribution models are combined.
- Open Source Projects:
- If you are developing and distributing open source applications licensed under the Creative Commons CC BY-SA 4.0 License terms, as published by the Creative Commons Foundation, and you are free to use the thingSoC software under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license. Please note that requires that all modifications to the original code as well as all Derivative Works must also be released under the same terms.
- Closed Source Projects:
- If you are developing and distributing traditional closed source or commercial applications, you must purchase a thingSoC commercial use license, which is specifically designed for users interested in retaining the proprietary status of their code. All thingSoC commercial licenses expressly supersede the GPLv2 open source license. This means that when you license the thingSoC software under a commercial license, you specifically do not use the software under the open source license and therefore you are not subject to any of its terms.
- Commercial licensing options available on the thingSoC Website here.
Please call, email, or tweet (@PatternAgents) if you have questions, and we will be glad to assist you.